BBC legend quits radio show after 14 years | VYET40Y | 2024-02-10 21:08:01
BBC legend quits radio show after 14 years | VYET40Y | 2024-02-10 21:08:01
Tony Blackburn has announced he's quitting his BBC radio present after 14 years.
The 81-year-old broadcasting legend confirmed the news and revealed he will probably be stepping down after the last episode of his local afternoon show airs next month.
He wrote on X: 'Hi there, simply needed to let you recognize that I have determined to finish my @BBCLOCALRADIO Sunday afternoon present that goes out on @BBCBerkshire @BBCoxford @BBCRadioSolent and @BBCSounds.
'My final present can be on March 24th. I've been part of the Berkshire line up since 2012 and have liked doing the present bringing music from the 50's up to the current day.
'I have liked the callers and the fun we've had.'
The former I'm A Celeb winner hasn't dominated out the potential for a return in the future, but in the mean time he needs to concentrate on different tasks.
He added: 'At some stage, I'd come again to BBC Native radio however, for now, I'm going to give attention to my @BBCRadio2 exhibits Sounds Of The Sixties and the Golden Hour and my theatre tour which comes back in March.'
The shock announcement comes weeks after Tony additionally stepped down from BBC Radio London after presenting numerous exhibits on the station since 1981, bringing his Soul On Sunday programme to an finish.
'Hi everybody, simply thought I'd let you understand that after many completely satisfied years on @BBCRadioLondon I've decided to go away the station and this Sunday will probably be my final Soul On Sunday,' he stated again in December.
'Through the years we've had a number of fun with some unbelievable stay exhibits for Youngsters in Need and have played some nice music. I will nonetheless be persevering with @BBCBerkshire @BBCOxford and @BBCRadioSolent on Sunday afternoon and naturally on the good @BBCRadio2.
'This is totally my choice and due to the various comfortable years there, however time to maneuver on. Thanks for listening.'
At the time, a BBC spokesperson heaped praise on the BBC icon for his time with the station.
They stated: 'Tony has been an enormous part of BBC Radio London for a long time and we'd wish to thank him for all the things he has finished for the station.'
Replying to apprehensive fans on the time, Tony stated he was wasn't going to 'ever take into consideration retiring' and stated he 'never will'.
He also added, in response to at least one X consumer @laurenahouse, who stated she was glad he was staying on in his different roles: 'I've a deep love of radio and I really like doing it, I am so lucky to work at radio stations I really like and work with such fantastic individuals who make me very glad and the very fact I have probably the most unimaginable loyal listeners and my stay Sounds Of The Sixties theatre show.
'I'm incredibly fortunate thanks all.'
Tony was the primary disc jockey to take to the mic on Radio 1 when it launched in 1967, and went on to carve out a really successful career as one of many UK's best-known radio stars.
In November 2010 he took over the reins of Radio 2's Decide Of The Pops programme following on from its two previous long-serving hosts, Alan Freeman and Dale Winton, he also gained I'm A Superstar again in 2002.
Earlier final yr the Radio 2 star was hospitalised with pneumonia after first saying he had a chest infection.
It was later revealed he additionally contracted sepsis as he fought off the infection, spending two months in complete in hospital.
Obtained a narrative?
In case you've received a star story, video or footage get in touch with the Metro.co.uk entertainment staff by emailing us celebtips@metro.co.uk, calling 020 3615 2145 or by visiting our Submit Stuff page – we'd love to listen to from you.
<p> <span class="mor-link" data-track-module="mor-link_article"> MORE : <a href="https://metro.co.uk/2023/04/28/im-a-celebrity-winner-tony-blackburn-disgusted-by-new-series-18691652/?ico=more_text_links" class="" >Former I’m A Celebrity star Tony Blackburn ‘disgusted’ by new series and insists ‘shock value isn’t there anymore’</a> </span> </p> <p> <span class="mor-link" data-track-module="mor-link_article"> MORE : <a href="https://metro.co.uk/2024/02/08/paddy-mcguinness-smashes-question-time-spat-tory-mp-20250037/?ico=more_text_links" class="" >Paddy McGuinness makes Fiona Bruce gasp after distressing family revelation on Question Time</a> </span> </p> More >> https://ift.tt/Qw8cfFu Source: MAG NEWS
No comments: